This course explores the biology and control of diseases and insects in turf grasses, shade trees and shrubs. It concentrates on the nature and type of agents that cause ornamental plant diseases and insect pest problems. It includes the cultural control of ornamental plant pests through an understanding of the conditions that promote or lead to the problems. It also focuses on the groups of important pests of conifers, broadleaf landscape plants and turfgrasses.
Landscape practitioners and gardeners wishing to gain plant protection skills.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Detect the causal agents of plant diseases including fungi, bacteria and viruses
- Discuss the effect of diseases on plant growth and development
- Explain the biology and ecology of the common insects that attack ornamental plants
- Understand the basic management strategies used to control insects and disease infestations
- Diagnose plant disease and pest problems
1. Introduction to Plant Pathology
- Biotic Agents (e.g., fungi, bacteria, mycoplasmalike organisms)
- Conifer needlecasts and twig blights
- Rust diseases
- Broadleaf foliar spots, molds, twig blights and mildews
- Cankers, galls and bacterial disease
- Wilts and rots
- Abiotic Agents – Environmental imbalances, nutrients deficiencies, human activities
- Disease Triangle
2. Introduction to Entomology: Anatomy, physiology, life cycles, classification
- Leaf beetles and weevils
- Sucking insects
- Scale insects
- Plant bugs
- Lace bugs
- Other pests, e.g., spider mites, slugs, snails.
- Woodborers, bark/shoot feeders, gall formers.
3. Turf Pests and Diseases
4. Integrated Pest Management:
- Horticultural practices
- Chemical free controls
- Biological controls
- Chemical controls
This course is a required core course within The Horticulturalist Certificate.
|Online Discussions||10% (2 at 5% each)|
|Quizzes||50% (5 at 10% each)|
|Assignments||40% (2 at 20% each)|
*Grading scheme subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Horticulturist Certificate : Required Courses