Personal support workers (PSWs) play a critical role in the health care team, and in ensuring that quality of life is maintained for the persons in their care. Advanced interpersonal skills are essential to PSW practice—they help to build connection with clients and colleagues, enhance the ability to adapt to new situations, and support personal and professional resiliency.
The Certificate in Advanced Interpersonal Skills for PSW Practice strengthens skills in the following areas to support PSWs in deepening your practice:
- Observation and critical thinking
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Flexible thinking and problem solving
- Empathy and compassion
Through practical application and critical reflection, you will grow your ability to respond proactively and creatively to the complex care needs of your clients and the challenges of a demanding work environment, while developing transferrable skills that are highly desirable to employers in all sectors.
This fully online, asynchronous, instructor-led micro-credential program consists of five courses that are five weeks each in length. Upon the completion of each course, you will earn a digital badge that can be shared with current and future employers to convey the skills that you have developed. By completing all five courses, you will earn a Certificate in Advanced Interpersonal Skills for PSW Practice from the University of Guelph.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Critically analyze unfamiliar situations in the workplace and develop an appropriate plan of action
- Implement strategies to create successful relationships within multi-disciplinary care teams
- Demonstrate effective communication across a variety of situations, including with clients, families, and team members
- Develop creative solutions to challenging workplace scenarios
- Apply approaches to build and maintain compassion and empathy for clients, team members and self
This micro-credential program requires the completion of five courses that can be taken in any order.
If you would like additional information about this program, please contact our main office.