3101025 - Arboriculture
Examine the management of healthy trees within a variety of ecological environments. In doing so, you will deepen your knowledge of tree biology, soil management, insect/disease identification, and arboriculture as a science, art and occupation. The impact of human activities and management practices on urban trees will also be addressed along with the strategies and techniques required to properly mitigate such situations.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recall the principles of ecology and apply these principles to the management of urban trees
- Select appropriate tree species for specific sites based on soil conditions, climate, site needs, and planting objectives
- Describe the best management principles and cultural practices that ensure tree health and longevity
- Identify damaging agents and recommend appropriate corrective action
- Arboriculture and the Arborist
- Tree Morphology
- Tree Identification
- Soil Science
- Soil Modifications
- Plant Stock Selection and Planting Considerations
- Tree Protection
- The Principles of Pruning
- Pruning Techniques
- Pest Management
- Hazard Management
- Trees and the Law
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Naturalizing and Restoring Landscapes and Arboriculture complete an area of focus in Natural Landscape Management.
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Arboriculture (310-0013).
|Online Discussion Participation||30%|
|Tree Care Management Project||30%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Horticulture Certificate : Elective Courses
- Horticulture Diploma : Elective Courses
- Landscape Design Diploma : Elective Courses
- Maintaining Golf Courses Certificate : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.