In many organizations, health and safety is the responsibility of the human resources (HR) management function. As an HR professional, you need to be knowledgeable about current occupational health and safety regulations, equipment/process safety, behavioural aspects of safety, and ways to prevent and minimize hazards in the workplace.
Identify the link between occupational health and safety and human resources management, and examine occupational health and safety as it relates to economic, legal, technical and moral issues in order to create and implement safe and healthy workplaces.
You will also gain an adequate understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and its Regulations, and the practical tools used by industry’s health and safety professionals today.
Well-suited participants of this course include those working towards the Diploma in Human Resources Management or CHRP professional designation, and people working in or who wish to work in human resources management.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the duties and roles assigned under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and recognize OHS Regulations that commonly apply to workplaces
- Recognize and describe chemical, biological and physical hazards in the workplace and outline considerations for safe work design aimed at reducing musculoskeletal injuries
- Explain the components of workplace violence and harassment prevention programs
- Understand how to manage the stages, components, and possible outcomes towards resolution of a work refusal
- Conduct a hazard analysis and risk assessment in order to provide guidance that meets best practices and regulatory compliance
- Conduct accident investigations including reviewing underlying and root-causes and provide recommendations for corrective actions
- Describe reporting requirements of the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development and the Workplace Safety Insurance Board
- Identify components and actions that comprise a basic return to work program
- Discuss the components of an effective Health and Safety Program
- Legislative Framework
- Hazard Recognition, Risk Assessment and Control
- Job Safety Analysis
- Physical, Chemical and Biological Agents
- Workplace Violence
- Workplace Wellness
- Mental Health in the Workplace
- Psychosocial Hazards
- Workplace Ergonomics
- Disability Management and Return to Work
- Workers’ Compensation
|Quizzes (4 x 5%)||20%|
|Assignments (4 x 15%)||60%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Note:This course is offered in the Fall Semester.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in Human Resources Management : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.