This course provides students with the opportunity to enhance their written and oral business communication skills in meeting the communication and decision-making demands of their jobs. The course will also address best practices and current issues in organizational communications, focus specifically on core communication requirements in the Pupil Transportation discipline, including AODA, Privacy and FIPA issues. It will provide instruction in intergenerational communication challenges and focus on integrating social media strategies into the communications platform. The learning design emphasizes a highly interactive, learn-by-doing approach, which will include pair and small group activities, case studies, real-life exercises, presentations and open discussion. Exercises will be custom-designed for real-life application.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand and apply some best practices in contemporary communications and social media
- Recognize different individual communication styles and adapt one’s approach accordingly
- Learn key rules for clear, concise, consistent written and verbal communications
- Review and practice key communication needs in Pupil Transportation (e.g., applications, exceptions, appeals)
- Learn the key principles of influence and persuasion and how to apply them.
- Create, prepare and deliver effective public speaking presentations including a/v resources
- Facilitate effective meetings.
- Assess and be prepared to make recommendations (where applicable) related to internal communication within their organizations.
- Behaviour and communication styles and preferences
- Intergenerational differences and requirements in communications
- Key rules on messaging, targeting, developing and distributing communication materials
- Core principles of effective speaking, writing, persuading, and influencing
- Effective Verbal and Written Business Communications
- Effective use of social media
- Presentation and Public Speaking Skills
- AODA, Privacy and FIPA impacts
Pre-work: "Business Communication Issues"
|"A Clear Case of Misunderstanding"||20%|
|"Own the Podium"||25%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Pupil Transportation Management : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.