This course will examine major themes and concepts related to leadership and ethics within the context of school board administration. Research on emotional intelligence, effective leadership, situational leadership and change management processes will be studied. During the semester you will also be introduced to various frameworks and tests for ethical decision-making, as well as mechanisms and processes that promote high professional and ethical standards within the school board environment. Application of learning in all of these themes will be emphasized in each unit. Ultimately the goal of this course is to assist leaders in school board administration in answering the question: How can I lead effectively and ethically within the school board environment?
This course is designed for Ontario School Board professionals in order to provide the skills and knowledge necessary to build leadership capacity within the school board environment.
Upon successful completion of this course you should be able to:
- Explain the connection between emotional intelligence and effective leadership.
- Reflect on your emotional intelligence skills by completing the Emotional Quotient Inventory (EQ-i 2.0) and evaluating the feedback.
- Explain the importance of emotional intelligence, flexible leadership styles, complementary EI skills and under and over-utilization of skills.
- Reflect on your leadership style by evaluating a scenario from your workplace.
- Develop effective change management processes for implementation in a specific school board initiative.
- Identify reasons for resistance to change and recommend effective strategies to manage resistance.
- Describe ethical frameworks and tests that guide decision-making and behaviour.
- Identify ethical dilemmas that arise for leaders in school board administration.
- Explain the importance of mechanisms and processes to promote high professional and ethical standards within the school board environment.
- Apply and evaluate strategies to respond effectively and appropriately when faced with ethical dilemmas within the school board environment.
- The Leadership Within
- Leadership and Management
- Change Management
- Ethical Frameworks
- Ethics and the Public Sector
|Assignment 1: Effective Leadership in School Board Administration||20%|
|Assignment 2: Change Management||20%|
|Assignment 3: Ethical Dilemmas in School Boards||20%|
|Reflection Papers (2)||20%|
|Discussion Participation (Main Group Discussions and Learning Partners Discussions)||20%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in School Board Administration : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.