This course provides an overview of the guiding principles of landscape design via the study of historical influences on modern garden design. Students are expected to create attractive and functional landscapes supported by skills learned in graphic techniques, planting and 'hard landscape' arrangement and design. Understanding site design problems will be enhanced by using the Design Process, a method of accumulating client and site information. Students will be required to apply the Design Process extensively for assignments within this course. An understanding of how to deal with site problems and client 'design programs/needs', along with creating quality design solutions, is the overall goal of the course.
Individuals looking to develop skills to design both aesthetically pleasing and functional residential, commercial and similar small scale landscapes.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outline the steps of the landscape design process
- Identify a variety of landscape design styles from visual aids, placing them in their historical context
- List and use the principles of landscape design
- Combine different types of plants, and other landscape materials and structures, to create an attractive, functional, user-friendly environment
- Evaluate and identify the design requirements of a residential landscape, choose appropriate plant material and structures, and arrange these landscape components appropriately
- Effectively draw simple residential landscape plans, and to sketch proposed landscape layouts
- Design Process and History of Landscape Design
- Site Analysis, Outdoor rooms and Circulation
- Walks, Paths, Patios/Decks, Walls, Fences, Steps
- Outdoor Rooms
- Design Principles
- Plant Characteristics and Planting Design
- Selecting Plant Material
- Garden Styles
- Statuary and Garden Ornamentation
- Public and Private Landscapes
- Common Design Problems and Mistakes
|Assignments (3)||30% each|
*Grading Scheme subject to change.
Note:Please note that when you register for this course you will be sent a list of drafting supplies which are recommended in order to be able to complete the course assignments. These supplies are not included in the tuition.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creating Landscapes Certificate : Required Courses