This course provides an overview of weed management in horticultural situations. It focuses on an integrated approach to weed management using a combination of preventive, cultural, mechanical, biological and chemical methods of weed control. It emphasizes weed identification and knowledge of weed life cycles to allow informed decisions to be made about weed problems.
Learners wanting to take an integrated approach to weed management in public and private landscapes.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Recall and apply information and related skills regarding weed biology, weed identification, methods of weed control, herbicide activity and weed management.
- Repeat and analyze aspects of weed life cycles that are relevant to their control (i.e. methods of reproduction, time of emergence and persistence).
- Summarize methods of weed identification involving 50 weeds commonly found in horticultural crops
- Compare basic methods of weed control: cultural, chemical, mechanical and biological
- Integrate the various methods of weed control by designing a weed management program for a number of horticultural crops
- Introduction to Weed Management - History of weeds, control, losses, competition, human health and new problem weeds
- Weed Biology - Classification, structure, reproduction and dispersal mechanisms (seed, vegetative and asexual means)
- Broadleaf Weed Identification
- Grasslike and Grass Weed Identification
- Methods of Weed Management - Cultural and mechanical weed control; prevention, eradication, control
- Chemical Weed Control - Herbicide modes-of-action; advantages and disadvantages
- Herbicide Application - Fate and factors that influence performance
- Management of Aquatic Weeds and Weeds in Ornamentals and Field-Grown Nursery Stock
- Developing an Integrated Weed Management Program - An integrated weed management program checklist
|Assignments (3)||20%, 20%, 25%|
|Quizzes (2)||15% each|
*Grading Scheme subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Horticulturist Certificate : Required Courses