7000013 - Writing Poetry
W.H. Auden wrote, “A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.” But what exactly makes a poem a poem? You will explore this question while attending an eight-week poetry workshop, probing the various elements of this genre: rhythm, cadence, stanzaic structure, metre, image, and metaphoric language. You will attempt a variety of poetic forms such as the sonnet, ghazal, pantoum and read examples of published work. Over the course of eight weeks, you will create, workshop and revise a short portfolio of your own poems.
One person’s everyday words can be poetic to others. This course will help you understand your voice as much as the voices of others.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Examine and discuss creative writing elements used by published authors in poetry.
- Demonstrate a personal writing style with a sensitivity to the sounds, moods, and evocative effects of the language.
- Recognise and utilise poetic devices and elements of craft related to the readings and forms discussed in class.
- Engage in reflective writing related to your poetic practice.
- Offer insightful and constructive feedback on the creative work of your peers.
- Receive and integrate insightful and constructive feedback into your own writing.
Students can expect a variety of in-class exercises, readings, theory, group work, and discussions on the following topics:
- What Makes a Poem a Poem?
- Discussions of Image and Metaphor
- Meter and Sonnet
- Poetic Forms (Elegy, Ghazal, Blues, Pantoum, etc.)
- Confessional & Observational Poetry
- Prose Poetry
- Contemporary Poetry
- Publishing, Editing and Submitting Creative Work
Job Market Overview
- This course is intended for adult learners.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the Creative Writing Certificate.
|Discussion & Workshop Participation||20%|
|Poetry Exercises (5 @ 4% each)||20%|
|Draft Poems (6 @ 5% each)||30%|
|Final Portfolio (3 revised poems)||30%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.