This course stresses the fundamental properties of particles and waves, designed for students without 4U Physics or equivalent. Topics include: the motion of particles, force, field, momentum, energy and associated conservation laws; basic interactions between particles; properties of waves. It is expected that students will have at least 1 4U mathematics credit. This course is intended only for students who require the equivalent of 4U Physics in order to proceed to IPS*1500, PHYS*1130, PHYS*1010, PHYS*1080, or PHYS*1070.
- Mathematical Preparation
- Kinematics in One Dimension
- Kinematics in Two Dimensions
- Forces and Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Friction, Circular Motion and Gravitation
- Work, Energy and Power
- Momentum and Collisions
- Electric Charge, Force and Field
- Electric Potential Energy, Electric Potential and Current
- Electrical Resistance and Circuits
- Oscillations and Waves
- Interference, Diffraction and Refraction of Light
|Online Final Exam||40%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.