Topics covered in this course include drugs used in the treatment of inflammatory, allergic, hormonal, infectious, neoplastic and hemorrhagic/thromboembolic disease. The focus will be on drug targets and mechanisms of action that explain therapeutic and toxicological effects.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the fundamental pharmacokinetic principles that govern drug movement through the body (recall from BIOM*3090)
- Describe the basic mechanisms by which selected classes of systemic drugs exert their therapeutic actions
- Recognize and explain pathophysiological, biochemical, pharmacological and patient-specific factors that may alter a patient’s response to a particular drug
- Recognize the generic name and class (+/- trade or “brand” names) of common drugs used to treat common systemic disorders
- Explain how and why adverse drug reactions occur and know the main adverse effects of selected major classes of drugs used to treat common systemic disorders
- Drugs used to treat endocrine disorders
- Drugs used in the treatment of inflammation
- Drugs used in the treatment of Infections
- Drugs used in the treatment of cancer
- Drugs used in the treatment of parasitic infections
|Online Quizzes (5)||10%|
|Online Final Exam||50%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.