The principles involved in the processing, handling and storage of foods are introduced in this course. The relationship of science and technology to food processing is discussed.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the interrelationships between the major food science disciplines
- Describe the impact of food consumption and the food industry upon society
- Describe basic chemical, physical and biological properties of foods
- Identify and describe common food processing principles
- Apply mathematical skills to food processing problems
- Food Science and Food Industry
- Food Laws and Regulations
- Chemistry of Foods
- Microbiology of Foods
- Food Safety
- Food Processing
- Food Engineering and Physics
- Toxicology and Biotechnology
- Sensory Evaluation
- Product Development
Restriction(s): FOOD*2150, FOOD*3090, NUTR*2150
|Hot Topic Discussion and Summary (Week 4)||15%|
|Assignment 1 (Week 5)||20%|
|Hot Topic 2 Discussion and Summary (Week 9)||15%|
|Assignment 2 (Week 10)||20%|
|Take-Home Final Exam||30%|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Food Science : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.