HTM*2030 - Control Systems in the Hospitality Industry
This is a study of the policies and procedures required to control food, beverage and other products, payroll and other operating costs. Areas examined include such topics as cost behaviour and analysis, menu analysis, budget preparation and the interpretation of data. The course will also stress the application of analytical techniques. Examples from all industry segments will be used.
Note: This course may be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Discuss the importance of the cost control cycle including its effect on the operation’s profitability;
- Evaluate a restaurant’s menu, pricing and sales strategies, including their effect on various aspects of the organization;
- Discuss, including reasons and effects, the methods and steps required to control:
- Purchasing, receiving, storing;
- Food preparations and portions;
- Sales and cash receipts;
- Payroll expenses; and
- Apply various quantitative and qualitative techniques to evaluate existing and proposed hospitality operations. (Please note that, for various reasons, the emphasis will be on food service operations, the same basic approaches are applicable across not only the hospitality industry, but any business.)
- Introduction to Cost Controls and Sales Concepts
- Cost / Volume / Profit Relationship
- Purchasing, Receiving, Storage, Production Controls
- Monitoring Operations
- Sales Controls
- Beverage & Labour Controls
Prerequisite(s): 4.00 credits
Restriction(s): Restricted to students in BCOMM.HAFA, BCOMM.HAFA:C, BCOMM:HTM, BCOMM.HTM:C or BCOMM.TMGT
|Participation in Discussions (Best 5 of 6)||10%|
|Quizzes (Best 5 of 6)||15%|
|On Campus Final Exam||45%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Hospitality Studies : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.