This course examines the application of business management principles and procedures within casinos. Major topics include: the global and Canadian casino industries, regulation and control, casino accounting and statistics, casino marketing, security and surveillance, human resources, customer service, and specific casino operational management components.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Explain the historical framework of the development of the global and Canadian Gaming and Casino Industries;
- Develop and demonstrate an understanding of gaming and casino industries terminology and its application;
- Develop and demonstrate an understanding of gaming systems and procedures;
- Identify and describe the operating characteristics of electronic and table gaming;
- Analyze and explain the organizational structure and staffing models of a casino;
- Identify and describe the functional relationships among the departments in a casino;
- Describe the functions of various casino departments in relation to the guest service cycle;
- Develop an appreciation of the complexities and multiplicity of casino management; and
- Realize the value of exchanging views on a wide range of topical gaming industry related issues.
- History of the Gaming Industry
- Global & Canadian Casino Industry
- Regulation & Control of the Canadian Casino Industry
- Sociological Impact of Gaming
- Casino Operations Management
- Electronic & Table Games
- Security & Surveillance within Casinos; Casino Design & Management; & Recruitment & Raining
- Casino Accounting and Statistics
- Casino Services: Food & Beverage; Entertainment & Event Management; & Customer Service
- Future of the Casino Industry
Prerequisite(s): (1 of HROB*2090, HROB*2100, HTM*2200), (1 of ACCT*2230, AGEC*2230, BUS*2230, HTM*3070
Restriction(s): This is a Priority Access Course. Some restrictions may apply during some time period. Please contact the department for more information. Students must be legal age of 19 or over.
|Assignment 1: Introduce Yourself||10%|
|Assignment 2: Casino Comparison||35%|
|Assignment 3: Open-for-Discussion – Problem Gambling||10%|
|Assignment 4: Research Project||35%|
|Assignment 5: Open-for-Discussion– Marketing||10%|
*Course details are subject to change.