This is the foundation course for the study of nutrition. The occurrence, uptake and metabolic role of nutrients will be discussed in relation to growth, reproduction and longevity in human subjects, domestic animals and other species.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Identify and describe the compounds and elements of nutritional importance, primarily to human beings, as related to digestion, absorption, metabolism, and physiological processes;
- Discuss relevant nutritional methodologies, including proximate analysis, digestibility, determination of protein quality and nitrogen balance, basal metabolic rate and calorimetry;
- Apply the scientific method to the critical evaluation and management of nutritional information from a variety of sources;
- Formulate critical solutions to nutrition-related problems that are accurate, clear, and audience-appropriate; and
- Improve scientific literacy through the exploration nutrition-related case studies.
- Food/Feed Composition Analysis & Digestive Systems
- Intermediary Metabolism
- Carbohydrate Digestion, Metabolism, and Impact on Health
- Lipid Classification, Digestion, Metabolism, and Impact on Health
- Protein Classification, Digestion, Metabolism, and Impact on Health
- Metabolic Integration
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Quizzes||10% (2 x 5% each)||1, 2, 3, 4|
|Group Case Study||10%||3, 4, 5|
|Online Midterm Exam||25%||1, 2, 3, 4|
|Online Final Exam||50%||1, 2, 3, 4|
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.