As operational demands of organizations continue to evolve, it is necessary to understand the process for securing external vendors to provide products, services and desired price points.
Learn about a variety of vendor management philosophies, approaches and resources that will guide you in effectively managing vendor relationships. Using an active learning process, you will engage in case studies, hands-on activities, and workplace scenarios to develop an integrated understanding of how vendors are managed so you can maximize your performance and success within your organization.
The course will focus on ways to identify, understand and comply with relevant legislation and regulations, so you can uphold an ethical approach to achieving your desired results.
While more broadly applicable, the course focuses on a public sector context and utilizes examples from school board and municipal environments. You are invited to apply your knowledge and experience while engaging in the learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Articulate how vendor relationships impact an organization
- Identify and describe legislation and regulations that impact vendor management
- Utilize a vendor contract to provide the framework for managing the relationship
- Identify the differences between and/or inter-relationship with working with an external vendor versus internal or external stakeholders
- Explain the importance of effective relationships with vendors and the impact of relationship breakdown
- Utilize negotiation skills and techniques for managing vendor resources
- Engage in difficult and productive conversations with vendors
- Where possible, demonstrate improvements and gains through enhanced vendor management policies and/or practices
- Uphold an ethical approach to vendor management
- Planning for the Vendor Relationship
- Working with the Vendor
- Monitoring the Vendor
- Critical Conversations
- Measuring Results
Supply Chain Management Association Ontario (SCMAO) Exemptions
Those successfully completing this course will receive a SCMAO exemption for the following SCMP program components:
- Interactive Workshop 4: Competitive Bidding, Contract Preparation and Contract Management
The course assessment has not yet been confirmed.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Facilities Management : Required Courses
- Certificate in Supply Chain Management for Public Procurement : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.