This course examines management from a strategic perspective, focusing on how organizations can achieve competitive advantage through leveraging their resources. Students will be challenged to integrate their knowledge of management theories to develop strategic solutions to organizational issues.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Explain how managers use management principles and applicable organizational theories to achieve strategic goals and organizational effectiveness.
- Apply principles of strategic management to organizational environmental and economic challenges.
- Construct effective leadership and control strategies for organizational design and operational situations
- Interpret evidence-based research and analysis to make informed decisions and recommendations to address organizational problems and challenges.
- Evaluate cultural and international business challenges through a management lens.
- Integrate ethical, diversity, equity, and sustainability solutions for the organizational and societal challenges that managers must face.
- Produce and present professional oral and written communications in the analysis of management problems and situations.
- Work as part of a team to identify, diagnose and analyze managerial organizational design problems and inform the development of potential solutions
- Introduction and Learning Outcomes: an introduction to the unit’s topical outcomes
- Principles to Explore: a section that explores the principles described in that section within the assigned and supplementary readings
- Interview with a Management Practitioner: a video recording of a management expert discussing their perspective of that unit’s topic
- Management in Action: a section that summarizes the expected graded weekly discussion posts and a discussion of the other graded assessments
- Learning Sandbox – Useful Resources: a resource section that provides supplementary support resources
- Self-Reflection: a section where you provide a video/oral/written reflection using a Video Assignment tool.
Pre-Requisite(s): HROB*3100, MGMT*3200
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussion Forum (individual)||20%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Group Mini-Cases (x 2 – group)||10%||1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8|
|Individual Essay (individual)||10%||1, 2, 3, 4, 7|
|Capstone Presentation (group)||10%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8|
|Capstone Group Project (group)||50%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8|
*Course details are subject to change.