POLS*3340 - Indigenous Politics in Canada
Course DescriptionThis survey course provides an overview of the relationship between the Canadian state and Indigenous peoples by analyzing key historical and contemporary legal and political developments in this evolving relationship. Exploring the history of treaties, colonialism, dispossession and assimilation helps explain the current transition to demands for Indigenous self-governance, land claims and treaty negotiations. The course will also address pressing contemporary socio-political issues, like Indigenous peoples in extractive industries, political mobilization in a global context, and the resurgence movement. The central objective for the course will be to analyze and evaluate the interplay between history, political mobilization, and law in shaping Indigenous-state relations by engaging respectfully with Indigenous and Canadian political thought and worldviews.
Learning OutcomesBy the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the historical evolution of the relationship between Indigenous peoples and the Canadian state
- Analyze the different existing and proposed models of Indigenous relations with the Canadian state
- Engage respectfully with Indigenous political thought and worldviews.
- Critically appraise contemporary socio-political issues, such as Indigenous peoples in extractive industries, Indigenous political mobilization in a global context, and the Indigenous resurgence movement.
- Develop capacity for critical reflection and openness to diverse forms of knowledge, evidence and data.
Additional RequirementsPrerequisite(s): 1 of ANTH*2660, HIST*2090, HIST*2600, INDG*1000, POLS*2230, POLS*2300
|Critical Reflection Paper||15%|
|Final Research Paper||30%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Indigenous Environmental Governance : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.