Personal support workers use communication skills every day in interactions with colleagues, clients and their families.
Enhance a variety of communication skills that support you to build and maintain professional relationships, accurately report on client health and well-being, and create meaningful connections with clients and their families.
Earn a digital badge in this course to share your achievement!
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Use active listening skills to build positive relationships with clients, families, and team members
- Extract, prioritize and communicate important information with accuracy to team members
- Evaluate the context surrounding communication with clients, families and team members and adapt communication responses appropriately
- Adapt communication to a variety of situations such as client age and health status, and professional relationship to support positive client and team interactions
- Analyze communication barriers within a given situation and implement strategies to resolve challenges
- Communication Process
- Context and Barriers
- Observing and Listening
- Clarifying and Speaking
- Reflecting and Sharing
- This course is intended for those working within the Personal Support Worker field and for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- You can expect to spend 8 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, and assignments.
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussion Posts & Participation||25%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Self-Reflective Journal||40%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Partner Activity||35%||1, 4, 5|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Advanced Interpersonal Skills for PSW Practice : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.