2900103 - Communication for PSW Practice
Personal support workers use communication skills every day in interactions with colleagues, clients and their families.
Enhance a variety of communication skills that support you to build and maintain professional relationships, accurately report on client health and well-being, and create meaningful connections with clients and their families.
Earn a digital badge in this course to share your achievement!
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Use active listening skills to build positive relationships with clients, families, and team members
- Extract, prioritize and communicate important information with accuracy to team members
- Evaluate the context surrounding communication with clients, families and team members and adapt communication responses appropriately
- Adapt communication to a variety of situations such as client age and health status, and professional relationship to support positive client and team interactions
- Analyze communication barriers within a given situation and implement strategies to resolve challenges
- Communication Process
- Context and Barriers
- Observing and Listening
- Clarifying and Speaking
- Reflecting and Sharing
- This course is intended for those working within the Personal Support Worker field and for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- You can expect to spend 8 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, and assignments.
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Discussion Posts & Participation||25%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Self-Reflective Journal||40%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Partner Activity||35%||1, 4, 5|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Advanced Interpersonal Skills for PSW Practice : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.