2900104 - Flexible Thinking and Problem Solving for PSW Practice
Time management and organization are important skills for personal support workers but, when over-emphasized, can lead to a care environment that is task-focused rather than client-centred.
Develop a toolkit of flexible thinking and problem-solving strategies that allow you analyze and adapt to unexpected situations in the workplace in ways that support and maintain person-centred care.
Earn a digital badge in this course to share your achievement!
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Analyze and prioritize difficult situations to determine an appropriate course of action
- Approach decision-making using both creative and analytical thinking skills
- Shift your thinking and behaviours to adapt to changes in client and workplace demands in ways that support and maintain person-centred care
- Develop multiple solutions in a team-based setting, to complex workplace scenarios, involving clients, their families, and team members
- Setting the Stage for Care: Become the “I” in Team
- Creative Approaches to Problem Solving
- Application of Creative Problem Solving
- Collaborative Solution Building
- Application of Collaborative Solution Building
- This course is intended for those working within the Personal Support Worker field and for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- You can expect to spend 8 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, and assignments.
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Prioritizing Needs Assignment||25%||1|
|Discussions (2)||10%||2, 3|
|Creative Approaches for Caregivers Assignment||30%||2|
|Collaborative Solution-Building Assignment||35%||3, 4|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Advanced Interpersonal Skills for PSW Practice : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.