Time management and organization are important skills for personal support workers but, when over-emphasized, can lead to a care environment that is task-focused rather than client-centred.
Develop a toolkit of flexible thinking and problem-solving strategies that allow you analyze and adapt to unexpected situations in the workplace in ways that support and maintain person-centred care.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Analyze and prioritize difficult situations to determine an appropriate course of action
- Approach decision-making using both creative and analytical thinking skills
- Shift your thinking and behaviours to adapt to changes in client and workplace demands in ways that support and maintain person-centred care
- Develop multiple solutions in a team-based setting, to complex workplace scenarios, involving clients, their families, and team members
- Setting the Stage for Care: Become the “I” in Team
- Creative Approaches to Problem Solving
- Application of Creative Problem Solving
- Collaborative Solution Building
- Application of Collaborative Solution Building
- This course is intended for those working within the Personal Support Worker field and for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- You can expect to spend 8 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, and assignments.
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Prioritizing Needs Assignment||25%||1|
|Discussions (2)||10%||2, 3|
|Creative Approaches for Caregivers Assignment||30%||2|
|Collaborative Solution-Building Assignment||35%||3, 4|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Advanced Interpersonal Skills for PSW Practice : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.