This course provides important information about using laboratory rat in biomedical research settings and helps to ensure their humane care and use.
The course consists of:
- Reading material on CourseLink.
- Remote instructions via the virtual presentation session.
- Hands-on practice and technical skills demonstration in lab.
- All individuals intending to work with live rat.
- Personnel who will be handling or performing procedures on awake rat.
- Researchers to establish learning activities in their research groups to enhance competency and promote refinement of animal use.
Hands-on practice in proper ways to pick-up, handle, and restraint a rat; husbandry, care, and monitoring of a rat in research settings; weighing, sexing and identification; health assessment; behavioral management; euthanasia and record keeping.
Successful completion of “Rat A” is required prior to being granted permission to work with rats and to attend other advanced courses.
Online Courselink reading material is accessible after 24 hours of registration. This material must be reviewed prior to attending this session so that the participant is prepared to take a short quiz or be evaluated at the time of the session.
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
1. Become familiar with handling rats.
2. Learn basic skills and knowledge about rats (such as biology and husbandry).
3. Learn about the importance of biosecurity and communication.
4. Learn how to perform health assessments and euthanasia.
5. Develop a solid foundation for their research work.
Additional Requirements- We kindly ask you to thoroughly answer the questionary during the registration.
- Please ensure you have completed or started the online course “Core Modules, Animal Care”. This course is a prerequisite for being listed on the Animal Utilization Protocol (AUP).
- Complete or register for the Orientation of the facility where you will work.
- Attend the remote instruction session on the date offered here.
- Familiarize with online reading material, which you will find on your CourseLink webpage after 24hr of registration.
*Course details are subject to change.