While individual lifestyles and living conditions impact our health and well being, growing evidence suggests that employee wellness is key to an organization's success, including productivity, performance, and retention. Numerous factors—such as social and organizational culture, policy, and working conditions—impact employee and workplace wellness.
Explore components that impact health and wellness in the workplace—such as wellness promotion, illness intervention, and psychological health and safety. Learn about the laws and standards that inform actions that promote workplace wellness, and their impact on employee engagement and organizational culture. Equip yourself with practical skills that encourage and advance positive employee engagement, wellness, and productivity in your own workplace.
While more broadly applicable, the course includes examples from school board environments. Regardless of your background, you are invited to bring your experience into the learning environment.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Analyze your organization's level of employee and workplace wellness, identifying potential solutions to address areas of need
- Identify warning signs and implement early intervention strategies (e.g., disability management and return to work initiatives, employee assistance programs, mental health training, etc.)
- Explain the guiding principles and purpose of the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace, and how it is relevant to your organization's workplace wellness
- Investigate the impact of employee engagement, including what motivates employees to contribute to the organization's success in your workplace
- Understand and describe the impact of an organization's culture and psycho-social work environment on workplace wellness
- Legislated Obligations to Support/Promote a Healthy Workplace
- Signs of a Healthy and Unhealthy Workplace
- Wellness at Work
- Mental Health
- Role of Media in Forming Attitudes Towards Mental Illness
- Psychological Health and Safety Standards and Your Workplace
- Psychological Health and Safety - The Standard
- Psychological Health and Safety - 13 Factors
- Psychological Health and Safety - Implementation in Action
- Implementing the Standard and Data for a Healthy Workplace
- The Business Case for Implementing the Standard
- Organizational Culture
Job Market Overview
|Group Assignments (3)||45%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
*Course details are subject to change.