3101018 - Vegetable Production
Gain the practical knowledge and skills to grow vegetables on a small plot of land without large equipment. Through an examination of each aspect of the production cycle, you will learn about planning requirements and intensive growing methods. By focusing on production planning and techniques, you will be in a better position to successfully grow a variety of vegetable crops.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of goal setting in relation to production and crop plans
- Describe the many components involved in successful vegetable production including; health plants and soils, field preparations, tools and materials, irrigation setup, pest and weed management, season extension techniques.
- Identify the key factors involved in selecting an appropriate growing site and create a site map
- Explain the steps of seed selection, seeding production, direct seeding, and transplanting, and create a seeding and planting schedule
- Describe harvesting and post-harvest handling procedures and create a harvest schedule
- Develop a complete production plan from seed to harvest that is appropriate for small-scale or urban vegetable production.
- Introduction to Farm Planning and Plant Basics
- Introduction to Soil Basics
- Site Selection and Season Extension
- Vegetable Crops
- Seeds and Seedling Production
- Field Preparation and Soil Management
- Direct Seeding and Transplanting
- Irrigation and Weeds
- Pests, Diseases and Crop Protection
- Harvesting and Post-Harvest Handling
- Crop Planning and Completing Your Farm Plan
- Season Wrap-Up and Trends in Urban Agriculture
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Issues in Urban Agriculture and Vegetable Production complete an area of focus in Urban Agriculture.
Vegetable Production is a new course in the Horticulture program.
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Horticulture Certificate : Elective Courses
- Horticulture Diploma : Elective Courses
- Landscape Design Diploma : Elective Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.