2010601 - Financing of Education in Ontario
Examine the Ontario education funding model and other funding sources, and recognize the impact of this funding on organizational strategic objectives, budget development, strategic planning, and cost analysis. This course will focus on the development of your financial leadership skills—including risk management, data-driven decision-making, accountability and transparency, and the role of audit and political influence.
The course content, readings, and individual and small group activities and assignments are designed to broaden your understanding of the financing of education. In turn, you will develop critical thinking skills to actively engage in discussion and consultation with key stakeholders regarding the current or future funding model.
I enjoyed the learning in this course. I appreciated the group exchanges, information, and assignments. The pace of the course was well-suited for my busy professional life.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the education funding model in Ontario and how the model can be applied in the support of organizational strategic objectives
- Recognize the role of risk assessment within a financial perspective, as well as auditing to ensure fiscal accountability and value for money as stewards of public funds
- Identify key inputs of the current funding model in the context of budget development, strategic planning and cost analysis
- Utilize fiscal leadership skills to support programs and strategic initiatives within a context of limited resources, legislative requirements, and political influence
- Apply critical thinking skills to actively engage in discussion and consultation with key stakeholders regarding the current funding model and any future redevelopment of the model
- Education Funding in Ontario - Past to Present
- Grant Funding and Other Sources of Revenue
- Budget and Strategic Alignment of Resources
- Financial Leadership in Education
- Audit and Assurance
|Grants for Student Needs||15%|
|The Evolution of Financial Leadership in School Boards||15%|
|Developing a Budget Plan||25%|
|Value for Money Audit||20%|
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Diploma in School Board Administration : Required Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.