The course is designed to enhance your knowledge and skills involving facility operations and maintenance, to ensure functionality comfort, safety, and efficiency of a built environment. The course also focuses on aspects of managing maintenance functions including aspects of sustainability, use of building materials and environmental impact.
While more broadly applicable, the course focuses on a public sector context and utilizes examples from school board and municipal environments. You are invited to apply your knowledge and experience while engaging in the learning.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Delineate property management processes and identify roles within the facilities department.
- Inform policy and permit processes to manage and optimize the community use of schools.
- Explain the legislative and regulatory requirements that relate to facility operation
- Inform decisions on building materials in the built environment.
- Inform decisions regarding facilities management involvement in environmental initiatives.
- Plan and schedule maintenance work within a facility's environment.
The course topics include:
- Legislation Affecting Operation and Maintenance
- Construction Regulations and Industrial Regulations
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Designated Substances
- Asbestos Maintenance and Management
- Ministry of Labour Offences and Penalties
- Hazard Recognition and Prevention / Ontario Fire Code
- Accessibility for Ontario with Disabilities Act (AODA)
- Mould Awareness
- Types of Maintenance Programs / Developing a Preventive Maintenance Program
- Custodial Best Practices
- Building Material and Building Maintenance
- Building Materials
- Structural and Wall Systems
- Constructing an Effective Maintenance Program
- Performance Objectives - Levels of Service
- Facility Condition Index
- Standard Operating Procedures
- COVID 19 Preparations and Maintenance
- Asset Management
- Life Cycle Considerations & Sustainability in Building Products
- Clean Air / Climate Change
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
- Green Building Operations / Energy Efficiency
- Sale of Surplus Properties / Surplus Space Opportunity / Community Use of Schools
- Pupil Accommodation Review Guidelines
Job Market Overview
|Group Assignment: Hazzard Prevention and Control||15%|
|Quiz: Legislative and Regulatory Requirements in Building Operations||5%|
|Group Assignment: Developing a Strong Maintenance Program||25%|
|Individual Assignment: COVID-19 Preparation||10%|
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Facilities Management : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.