Learn the fundamentals of event planning and examine the complexities of organizing, marketing and running an enjoyable and sustainable equine event, with or without horses. Develop effective business and event management skills to help you plan well-coordinated and successful equine events.
This course has been designed to help you plan and prepare to host an event. Each student will choose an event to use throughout the course. This event can be one you are planning to host or one you may like to host in the future. Each week you will look at specific elements of event planning as you develop and implement them into a comprehensive event plan.
Examples of equine events include horse shows, clinics, rodeos, trade shows, conferences, open houses, trail rides and fundraising events. Events can be in-person, hybrid, or virtual. By the end of this course, you will have developed an effective equine event plan.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the role of the event manager and their impact on a successful equine event
- Implement an event management planning process and apply it to a variety of equine events
- Explain the principles of financial management and how they apply to event management
- Identify and create a site plan that includes management and sustainability strategies
- Create a plan for a healthy environment and welfare for horses attending your event
- Apply best practices and event management principles to an event management plan
- Equine Event Planning
- Risk Management
- Sponsorship and Donations
- Environmental Impacts and Horse Health
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete one of our equine certificates or the diploma.*
- You do not need access to a horse to participate and be successful in this course.
- You can expect to spend 6-10 hours per week to compete the course material, discussions and assignments.
*If you are a certificate or diploma program student, we recommend that you complete Management of the Equine Environment first, or very early in your course of studies. This course is offered every semester.
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
*Course details are subject to change.
View the upcoming course schedule at our Equine Studies Online program website.