This course emphasizes the use of accounting information to facilitate effective management decisions. Topics include cost determination, cost control and analysis, budgeting, profit-volume analysis and capital investment analysis.
Note: This course may be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
Note: This course is accredited by the Human Resource Professionals Association (HRPA) and may be applied towards the CHRP designation.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Clearly demonstrate an understanding and application of the various managerial accounting concepts;
- Categorize costs into different classifications based on their managerial decision usefulness;
- Identify optimal managerial decisions through Cost-Volume-Profit and relevant costing analysis;
- Apply variable, absorption and standard costing as appropriate in various contexts;
- Apply budgeting and budget projection tools in a business setting; and
- Incorporate managerial accounting tools in decision-making processes for immediate and long-term decisions.
- Managerial Accounting and the Business Environment
- Cost Terms, Concepts and Classification
- Cost Behaviour – Analysis and Use
- Cost-Volume-Profit Relationships
- System Design – Job-Order Costing
- Activity-Based Costing – A Tool to Aid Decision Making
- Variable vs. Absorption Costing, A Tool for Management
- Budgeting for Costs and Cash
- Standard Costs
- Reporting for Control
- Relevant Costs for Decision Making
- Capital Budgeting Decisions
Prerequisite(s): ACCT*1220 or ACCT*2220
Equate(s): AGEC*2230, BUS*2230
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Weekly Post-Class Quizzes (Best 10 out of 11 x 1%)||10%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Weekly LearnSmart Unit Assignments (Best 10 out of 11 x 1%)||10%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Chapter Quizzes (2)||20%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Midterm||25%||1, 2, 3, 6|
|Final Exam||35%||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
Note: The student must pass the final exam to pass the course.
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
Please view the Technical Considerations.
*Course details are subject to change.