This course stresses fundamental principles of chemistry and is designed for students without Grade 12 or 4U Chemistry or equivalent. Topics include: atomic theory, the periodic table, stoichiometry, properties of gases and liquids, acid-base concepts and chemical equilibria. This course is intended only for students who require the equivalent of Grade 12 or 4U Chemistry in order to proceed to CHEM*1040.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Apply the fundamentals of chemistry at the Grade 12 or 4U level to various problems
- Demonstrate understanding of the basic features of the periodic table and be able to identify and name elements, ions and various compounds
- Balance and explain various types of chemical reactions (specifically solubility, gas, acid-base and oxidation-reduction)
- Solve quantitative calculations including stoichiometric, solution composition and ideal gas law calculations
- Determine the molecular structure of simple compounds using Lewis Structures
- Apply the concepts of chemical equilibrium and solve simple quantitative equilibrium calculations
- Identify and name some simple carbon containing compounds (alkanes, alkenes, alkynes and aromatic compounds) in order to begin investigating organic chemistry.
- Measurements and Calculations
- Elements, Atoms and Ions
- Chemical Reactions
- Molecular Formulas and the Mole
- Atomic Theory and Chemical Bonding (this is a two-week unit)
- Gases: Ideal Gas Law and Gas Stoichiometry
- Solutions: Molarity, Dilutions and Reactions
- Acids and Bases
- Oxidation-Reduction Reactions and Electrochemistry
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry
|Assessment Item||Grading Scheme 1 Weight||Grading Scheme 2 Weight|
|Optional OWL Homework||10%||0%|
|Mini-Quizzes (Best 5 of 8)||20%||20%|
|Online Final Exam||40%||45%|
Note: If you are using the 7th edition of the textbook you will not have access to the OWL Homework so you will have to follow Grading Scheme 2.
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.