The course serves as an overview to organizational behaviour. It examines the individual, the group, the organization and how the three interrelate in order to enhance performance and productivity.
Note: This course may be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of OB theories, models and concepts presented in the course;
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of individual level (micro), and group and organizational level (macro) factors in fostering organizational success;
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and evaluate organizational behaviour information;
- Understand how evidence-based management is used to diagnosis problems and provide solutions to organizations;
- Demonstrate skills critical to future success as employees and managers including:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving; and
- Written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply the OB theories, models and concepts to organizational settings; and
- Demonstrate professionalism in communicating with peers and others.
- Organizational Behaviour (OB) and Evidence-Based Management (EBM)
- Personality and Learning
- Perception, Attribution, and Diversity
- Values, Attitudes and Work Behaviour
- Theories of Work Motivation and Motivation in Practice
- Decision Making
- Groups and Teamwork
- Social Influence, Socialization, & Culture
- Communication, Power, Politics and Ethics
- Conflict, Stress and Negotiation
- Organizational Structure, Environment, Strategy & Technology
- Organizational Change, Development, and Innovation
Restriction(s): HROB*2100, HROB*4000, PSYC*3080
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Weekly Video Quizzes (12 x 1%)||12%||4, 5|
|Applied Quizzes (4 x 8%)||32%||1, 2, 3, 5, 6|
|Discussion Participation (2 x 8%)||16%||1, 2, 3, 4, 7|
|Online Final Exam||40%||1, 2, 3, 5, 6|
Additional Technical Requirements
Virtual Classroom is a video conferencing tool used to facilitate synchronous virtual meetings. You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. You will need to have a microphone, headset or speakers, and a webcam to participate fully in Virtual Classroom sessions.
This course will use the Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams. In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you must meet the following technical requirements:
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, 8, 7; Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Memory: Windows 2 GB RAM; Mac 512 MB RAM.
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Functioning webcam and microphone. The webcam and microphone can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. (You will be required to do an environment scan of your room, so please ensure you can move your computer, laptop or webcam for this scan.)
- A broadband Internet connection. It is recommended that you access the Internet via a wired connection.
*Course details are subject to change.