This introductory course is designed to help students develop and achieve their personal goals in financial management.
Note: This course can be taken individually or as a part of a certificate program.
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Assess personal financial situations, prepare relevant financial statements and set meaningful financial goals
- Manage consumer credit, use the financial system to tap into credit sources for housing and other major expenditures
- Avoid consumer credit traps and apply strategies for paying off debts as fast as possible
- Identify insurance needs and manage personal risks with the appropriate choice of insurance and other mechanisms;
- Describe how financial markets and financial securities work and make appropriate selections of savings vehicles, stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- Create a plan to achieve a desirable post-retirement lifestyle
- Use estate planning to meet the needs of dependents and to insure the orderly transfer of assets
- Demonstrate the ability to apply basic calculations for personal financial and investment analysis
- Personal Financial Planning
- Income Tax Strategies
- Banking Services of Financial Institutions
- Consumer Credit
- Finances of Housing
- Estate Planning
Prerequisite(s): 5.00 credits
|Participation in Discussions||16%|
|Financial Planning Assignment||10%|
|Income Tax Assignments||4%|
|Online Final Exam||40%|
Note: You must pass the final exam in order to pass this course.
Additional Technical Requirements
This course will use the following:
- McGraw-Hill Connect is a digital learning environment administered by McGraw-Hill Education. Visit their website to complete a check that ensures your computer meets the Connect system requirements.
- Respondus tool to invigilate one or more exams.
- Virtual Classroom is a video conferencing tool used to facilitate synchronous virtual meetings.
Please view the Technical Considerations for each.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business : Electives
*Course details are subject to change.