2900006 - Plant-Based Diets across the Lifespan
Investigate strategies and key issues to support healthy plant-based diets across the lifespan, from maternal health and pregnancy to older adults. Gain a solid understanding of how nutritional needs vary from one life stage to another and the implications of implementing plant-based diets at each life stage.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Compare nutrient requirements at the various stages of life to support health and prevent diseases.
- Discuss the implications for implementing a plant-based diet across the lifespan
- Identify components of plant-based foods and diets that influence body systems across the lifespan.
- Contribute to supporting health and managing and preventing disease
Some of the topics you will explore during this course include plant-based nutrition during:
- pregnancy and infant feeding,
- toddler and preschool years,
- childhood and adolescence, and
- adulthood and older adulthood.
Job Market Overview
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You may take this as an individual course or choose to complete the certificate.
- You can expect to spend 5-6 hours per week to complete the course material, activities, discussions and assignment.
- If you are new to online learning, visit the Online learning at U of G page for helpful resources.
*It is recommended that you complete Introduction to Plant-Based Diets before selecting other courses in the certificate.
Each week you will engage in a discussion question that examines evidence-based research and apply what you are learning to diets. The course concludes with a project-based assignment that focuses on one life stage case study, of your choice, to make practical recommendations to improve the current level of nutrition.
- Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition, College of Applied Human Sciences
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate : Electives
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.