The Certificate in Disability Management and Attendance Support program provides participants with knowledge and skills in the area of disability management and attendance support. The primary objective of the certificate is for participants to learn the components necessary to develop, implement and evaluate disability management and attendance support programs in their workplace.
Components of this program will include applicable legislation, workplace accommodations, return to work planning and an understanding of the legal and ethical responsibilities in relation to disability management and attendance support. The program is designed to provide participants with a highly interactive learning experience utilizing case studies and real-life scenarios to provide a broader understanding of the complexity of this challenging role and relevant workplace challenges.
About the Certificate
One (1) of the four (4) certificate courses is offered in July of each year. Each classroom-based course is comprised of five (5) days, totaling thirty (30) contact hours of instruction. The five (5) days consist of four (4) days of instruction (Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM to 5:00PM), as well as a final exam (Friday, 9:00AM-11:00AM).
Upon successful completion of the courses, students will be able to:
- Apply the legislative requirements of disability management and attendance support programs
- Demonstrate knowledge and best practices to successfully develop and implement disability management and attendance support programs
- Apply knowledge to the successful management of disability and attendance claims
- Identify barriers to return to work and negotiate effective solutions
- Apply the tools to evaluate the effectiveness of disability management and attendance support programs
Each certificate consists of 4 courses. Each certificate requires the successful completion (passing grade of 50%) of the associated 4 certificate courses. Upon successfully completing the 4 certificate courses, participants are to complete and submit a Certificate Request Form.
Disability management and attendance management careers within a school board or related sectors or fields.
The certificate is achieved by successfully completing four (4) classroom-based courses. The upcoming annual schedule is as follows:
- Program Development and Administration (July 2020)
- Case Management Strategies (July 2017)
- Return to Work, Disability Management and Attendance Support Program Evaluation (July 2018)
- Fundamentals of Disability Management and Attendance Support (July 2019)
If you would like additional information on this certificate, please email our main office or phone us at 519-767-5000.
The certificate program is offered jointly by the Ontario Association of School Business Officials (OASBO) and the University of Guelph, Open Learning and Educational Support (OpenEd).