OverviewTurn your passion for horses into a business in the equine industry. The Certificate in Equine Business Management is designed for anyone interested in working in the administrative and management aspects of the equine industry. Learn how to develop marketing and business plans, create budgets and set up financial records, manage operations and establish yourself as a professional. Take the first step in gaining the skillset required for sustainable equine business success.
About the Certificate
You will benefit from our online equine business courses if you want to:
- Turn your passion for horses into a business
- Research your business idea to be sure it is a viable business for you
- Learn the components of a business plan and develop a business plan for your business.
- Create budgets and set-up your financial records.
- Read and understand financial reports and how they can help your business succeed.
- Develop a marketing plan which includes traditional, web-based and social media strategies.
- Build and/or set-up your facility and property to maximize the health and welfare of horses in your care
- Learn to write professional communications
- Plan well attended and well run equine events
- Learn to write for equine journals and the web
- Examine bio-security issues and risk management of your equine operation and events.
In order to obtain the Certificate in Equine Business Management, you must complete the five required courses and one of the eligible electives. Students should expect to spend 6 - 10 hrs a week per course on their studies. It is recommended students begin with Management of the Equine Environment.
This program is delivered entirely online and you can participate from anywhere you have access to the internet. There is no requirement to be online at a certain time. The courses are facilitated by an instructor and all students registered in the course progress through the course content at the same time.
If you currently hold the Diploma in Equine Studies, Equine Science Certificate or the Equine Welfare Certificate please contact Open Learning and Education Support to clarify your certificate requirements. There are restrictions on counting courses in more than one certificate or diploma program and we want to be sure you plan your course of study to accommodate any restrictions.
The Certificate in Equine Business Management is intended for adult learners 18 years of age or older.
The equine science and business courses are open learning continuing education courses and you do not have to apply and be accepted into the certificate program to take one of the courses. There are no international student fees and we welcome students from around the world to register in our courses.
The Certificate in Equine Business Management prepares you to start-up and manage your own business, or become a manager of an equine business.
There are many different types of businesses working directly with horses or in one of the many support services. Some examples include:
- At the Stable: Boarding, Training or Recreational Facility, Barn or Farm Manager, Summer Camp, and Rescue Operation.
- As a Service Provider: Horse Trainer, Riding Instructor, Coach, Trail Guide, Farrier, Equine Massage Therapist and Equine Nutritionist.
- As a Support Business: Equine Photographer or Artist, Marketing, Web Design, Journalist, and Product Sales.