The Certificate in Facilities Management (FM) provides students with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to manage and lead the Ontario School Board’s infrastructure in a way that meets legal requirements and regulating authorities’ standards, ensures facility sustainability and creates green learning environments for students and communities, as well as engenders employee engagement. The certificate in FM is achieved by successfully completing the following four (4) classroom-based courses:
About the Certificate
One (1) of the four (4) certificate courses is offered in July of each year. Each classroom-based course is comprised of five(5) days, totaling thirty (30) contact hours of instruction. The five (5) days consist of four (4) days of instruction (Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM to 5:00PM), as well as a final exam (Friday, 9:00AM-11:00AM).
Upon successful completion of the courses, students will be able to:
1. Apply acquired knowledge of theory and practice in Facilities Management to operations, maintenance, and construction.
2. Model the importance of strategic leadership with facilities professionals within Ontario school boards, to enhance employee engagement and improve operations.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the processes, issues, and techniques involved in developing and delivering Facilities Management programs, policies, procedures, and practices.
4. Relate knowledge and skills of the theory and practice of individuals and groups/teams in organizations to Facilities Management departments.
5. Support the implementation of Facilities Management initiatives that promote sustainability.
6. Describe how legislative regulations impact the design and operation of schools within the Facilities Management environment.
7. Utilize knowledge of human resource management to successfully lead employees within Facilities Management functions of operations, maintenance, and construction.
Each certificate consists of 4 courses. Each certificate requires the successful completion (passing grade of 50%) of the associated 4 certificate courses. Upon successfully completing the 4 certificate courses, participants are to complete and submit a Certificate Request Form.
Facilities management careers within a school board or related sectors or fields.
The certificate is achieved by successfully completing four (4) classroom-based courses. The upcoming annual schedule is as follows:
1. Property and Facilities Management – Design and Build
2. Property and Facilities Management – Operations and Maintenance
3. Human Resources Management for Facilities Professionals
4. Strategic Leadership and Employee Engagement
If you would like additional information on this certificate, please email our main office or phone us at 519-767-5000.
The certificate program is offered jointly by the Ontario Association of School Business Officials (OASBO) and the University of Guelph, Open Learning and Educational Support (OpenEd).