The Certificate in Human Resources Management for School Board Administrators program is designed for Ontario school board professionals who wish to develop and/or enhance their knowledge, skills and abilities in effective human resources management. The curriculum reflects the latest information, issues and challenges facing Ontario school boards.
About the Certificate
One (1) of the four (4) certificate courses is offered in July of each year. Each classroom-based course is comprised of five (5) days, totaling thirty (30) contact hours of instruction. The five (5) days consist of four (4) days of instruction (Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM to 5:00PM), as well as a final exam (Friday, 9:00AM-11:00AM).
Upon successful completion of the courses, students will be able to:
- Knowledge of theory and practice in Human Resources Management.
- Understand the importance of Human Resources Management in the overall management and leadership in Ontario school boards.
- Knowledge and application of labour-management relations including collective bargaining, mediation, negotiation and administration of collective agreements.
- Develop an understanding of the process, issues and techniques involved in developing and administering a total compensation system within the school board.
- Gain fundamental knowledge and skills of the theory of individuals, groups and teams within organizations.
- Acquire practical skills to improve organizational effectiveness within Ontario school boards.
Each certificate consists of 4 courses. Each certificate requires the successful completion (passing grade of 50%) of the associated 4 certificate courses. Upon successfully completing the 4 certificate courses, participants are to complete and submit a Certificate Request Form.
Human resources careers within a school board or related sectors or fields.
The certificate is achieved by successfully completing four (4) classroom-based courses. The upcoming annual schedule is as follows:
- Labour-Management Relations (July 2020)
- Compensation & Benefits (July 2017)
- Organization and Management (July 2018)
- Human Resources Administration (July 2019)
If you would like additional information on this certificate, please email our main office or phone us at 519-767-5000.
The certificate program is offered jointly by the Ontario Association of School Business Officials (OASBO) and the University of Guelph, Open Learning and Educational Support (OpenEd).