You spend a lot of your time outdoors and enjoy the challenges of seasonal work. You’re involved in landscaping projects, yard maintenance and making outdoor spaces functional and beautiful. But perhaps you’re looking for a little inspiration. You’re great at what you do but maybe you’re looking to delegate a bit more or even start your own business. Or it’s possible that you’d like to get involved in the landscape design side of things.
If you’re looking for a more advanced landscape design program, our new Landscape Design Diploma is perfect for you. Newly developed and upgraded for today’s job market, the Landscape Design Diploma will give you a solid foundation to take your skills to another level. You’ll learn the basics and then move on to more specialized areas to give you a well-rounded education that will help you to become the landscape design professional you’ve always wanted to be.
With a total of 10 online courses to complete, this structured program will give you a solid background in landscape design principles and business management practices.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Integrate the principles of design and horticulture to evaluate a site and assemble the elements of landform, vegetation, and structure into a cohesive landscape design.
- Assess the potential ecological impacts of a proposed site development and recommend environmentally responsible practices in the site development process.
- Research and utilize knowledge of specific plant characteristics, usage, and maintenance requirements to select plants appropriately using criteria such as aesthetic appeal, hardiness, and site requirements.
- Apply construction principles to assess site conditions related to safety, access, preservation and storage; interpret and explain plans; select materials for construction projects; and estimate costs.
- Effectively communicate design ideas to potential clients through professional presentations.
- Integrate fundamental business concepts used in the landscape design and horticulture industry including: business planning and goal setting, product development, market research and financial costs.
- Landscape Designer
- Landscape Construction
- Landscape Gardener
The program requires the completion of eight courses and two electives. You may choose to complete one or two areas of focus within your diploma program for a more specialized diploma, or choose courses from a variety of subject areas for a broader approach. Courses may be taken in any order. We recommend that you begin your studies with the required foundational courses before registering in the required advanced courses.
Enrolment is on a course-by-course basis and there is no application required. This program is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age. Course availability changes each semester. It is recommended you submit notification requests for each course in the program to be informed when registration opens. Course registration closes six days after the start of the semester.
You have a maximum 5 years to complete the required courses toward a particular certificate and/or diploma. The maximum number of years is presently under review and will be posted on the website once confirmed.
The price per course is currently $595. Course prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed. The total cost of the program may vary depending on available discounts* and the length of time to completion.
*There are early bird and alumni tuition discounts available for this program.
If you would like additional information about this program, please contact our Main Office.