The Diploma in Equine Studies developed with Equine Guelph brings the expertise of a world-class veterinary college to horse owners. You will explore topics like equine safety and management practices, environmental stewardship, equine behavior, nutrition, anatomy, health, and welfare in this comprehensive program. With so many electives to choose from, you can customize your learning to best fit your interests and career goals, with an opportunity to integrate business courses with fundamental equine science studies. This program will benefit you whether you are new to the equine industry or have been involved for many years.
With a total of 10 online courses to complete, the diploma program will give you the extensive equine education that you are looking for.
Upon successful completing of this program, you will be able to:
- Communicate effectively using appropriate business, horse health care, and welfare language and terminology with peers, professionals, community members, and veterinarians by responding and engaging with others
- Effectively discuss problems of the horse with a veterinarian in an informed and educated manner, and assist in providing necessary information that will aid in the care of the horse
- Identify, describe and apply the care requirements as outlined in the Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Horses to assess local and global management practices
- Conduct research and analyze a variety of science and evidence-based resources and synthesize this knowledge to upgrade and improve standards of care and management practices both personally and within the industry
- Examine the horse industry in the past and present to acknowledge and critique assumptions and explore through research how practices change over time, including how these practices will impact the future health and welfare of horses
- Implement care and management practices that support the health and welfare of horses
- Discuss horse health and welfare issues from an industry/global perspective using evidence-based information with the goal of contributing to positive change
- Demonstrate professional behavior that leads to ethical decision making within the community and contributing to the sustainability of the equine industry
- Equine Business Manager
- Equine Journalist
- Riding Instructor
- Equine Management
- Equine Event Manager
- Barn Manager
- Barn Hand
The program requires the completion of six required courses and four electives. Courses may be taken in any order. We recommend that you begin your studies with Management of the Equine Environment.
Enrolment is on a course-by-course basis and there is no application required. This program is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age or have completed Grade 12 or equivalent. Course availability changes each semester. It is recommended you submit notification requests for each course in the program to be informed when registration opens. Course registration closes six days after the start of the semester. The courses are facilitated by an instructor and all students registered in the course progress through the course content at the same time.
Complete six required courses and four elective courses. Request your parchment through the OpenEd Student Portal once all requirements are met. If you currently hold the Equine Science Certificate, Equine Welfare Certificate or the Certificate in Equine Business Management offered at the University of Guelph please contact Open Learning and Educational Support to clarify your certificate requirements. There are restrictions on counting courses in more than one certificate or diploma program and we want to be sure you plan your course of study to accommodate any restrictions.
You can take up to 10 years from the start of your first course to complete and receive the diploma.
The price per course is currently $625. Course prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed. The total cost of the program may vary depending on available discounts* and the length of time to completion.
*There are early bird and alumni tuition discounts available for this program.
If you would like additional information about this program, please contact our Main Office.