The Diploma in Equine Studies developed with Equine Guelph brings the expertise of a world-class veterinary college to horse owners. You will explore topics like equine safety and management practices, environmental stewardship, equine behavior, nutrition, anatomy, health, and welfare in this comprehensive program. With so many electives to choose from, you can customize your learning to best fit your interests and career goals, with an opportunity to integrate business courses with fundamental equine science studies. This program will benefit you whether you are new to the equine industry or have been involved for many years.
With a total of 10 online courses to complete, the diploma program will give you the extensive equine education that you are looking for.
Upon successful completing of this program, you will be able to:
- Implement business and management practices which support the welfare and health of horses in the horse owner’s care.
- Develop basic skills in the management of an equine business which includes presentation of a business plan, risk assessment, marketing plan and financial management.
- Establish a safe and environmentally responsible horse housing facility.
- Conduct research and analyze a variety of science and evidence-based resources and synthesize this new knowledge to upgrade and improve standards of care and management practices, both personally and within the industry.
- Participate in discussions and group work through effective presentation of new information, assessing relevance and accuracy of discussions while supporting others in their learning.
- Examine the horse industry in the past, present and future to acknowledge and discuss past assumptions and explore through research how practices change over time including how these practices have influenced the health and welfare of the horse.
- Demonstrate an understanding and use of the “language” of horse health and welfare in order to discuss issues from an industry/global perspective with peers, professionals in the field, influencers and policy-makers in the student’s sector or region.
- Illustrate in-depth knowledge through assignments, discussions and presentations of supported positions. * Produce a plan for a research project that will demonstrate in-depth knowledge on a specific topic and the ability to apply the learning to improved practices for the student’s own circumstances.
- Identify, describe and apply the care requirements for the mare, foal and stallion, as outlined in the Equine Code of Practice, and develop an awareness of the horse globally.
- Effectively discuss problems of the horse with a veterinarian in an informed and educated manner and assist in providing important information that will aid in the care of the horse.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behaviour that leads to good decision-making within the community.
- Equine Business Manager
- Equine Journalist
- Riding Instructor
- Equine Management
- Equine Event Manager
- Barn Manager
- Barn Hand
The program requires the completion of six required courses and four electives. Courses may be taken in any order. We recommend that you begin your studies with Management of the Equine Environment.
Enrolment is on a course-by-course basis and there is no application required. This program is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age or have completed Grade 12 or equivalent. Course availability changes each semester. It is recommended you submit notification requests for each course in the program to be informed when registration opens. Course registration closes six days after the start of the semester. The courses are facilitated by an instructor and all students registered in the course progress through the course content at the same time.
Complete six required courses and four elective courses. Request your parchment through the OpenEd Student Portal once all requirements are met. If you currently hold the Equine Science Certificate, Equine Welfare Certificate or the Certificate in Equine Business Management offered at the University of Guelph please contact Open Learning and Educational Support to clarify your certificate requirements. There are restrictions on counting courses in more than one certificate or diploma program and we want to be sure you plan your course of study to accommodate any restrictions.
You can take up to 10 years from the start of your first course to complete and receive the diploma.
The price per course is currently $625. Course prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed. The total cost of the program may vary depending on available discounts* and the length of time to completion.
*There are early bird and alumni tuition discounts available for this program.
If you would like additional information about this program, please contact our Main Office.