Develop or enhance your skills and knowledge of Ontario school board business operations and functions. Designed for those working or seeking to work within the school board environment, you will learn from an expert team of instructors and explore a broad range of administration topics and multidisciplinary issues. Learn to effectively manage business opportunities and challenges in the school board environment.
With a total of 10 courses to complete, the diploma will provide you with a solid understanding of Ontario school board operations.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Identify the fundamental functions and key components of Ontario school board business administration and operations
- Demonstrate an enhanced set of skills in business administration, including financial management, legal governance, ethical decision-making, operational resource management, business communications, and leadership and management within the Ontario school board environment
- Describe the types of organizational structures in Ontario school boards and explain the interactions between the various business functions and operations
- Explain the fundamentals and current issues of education funding for Ontario school boards and demonstrate leadership with financial operations and fiscal management
- Describe and evaluate the impact of legislation and governance models on the various roles within Ontario school board operations
- Identify the knowledge, skills, and attributes that are required of leaders and managers in school board administration
- Apply and evaluate strategies to effectively and appropriately respond to ethical dilemmas within the school Board environment
- Analyze the complexity of organizational communication and apply communication theory and skills to a variety of situations within Ontario school boards
- Examine key components, factors, issues, and trends of operational resource management (e.g., supply chain management, energy costs, pupil transportation, staffing, etc.) and recommend strategies
- School Board Administrators, Business Operations Managers, and Department Leads
- Pupil Transportation Administrators, Managers, and Department Leads
- Principal, Vice Principal, Superintendent, Director of Education
- School Board Elected Officials
This program requires the completion of six required online courses and four electives. Courses within the Business Operations certificates comprise the Diploma in School Board Administration electives. Courses may be taken in any order. You must receive a passing grade of 50% or more for each of the four courses to earn this diploma.
Enrolment is on a course-by-course basis. A program application is completed when registering for the first time. Students must have successfully completed post-secondary education to enrol in this program. Special academic consideration may be granted.
A maximum of two credit transfers may be granted to those who have successfully completed degree-level courses equal to the program's course offerings (one required course; one elective course). Applicants may be required to provide course outline(s).
Course availability changes each semester. It is recommended you submit notification requests for each course in the program to be informed when registration opens. Course registration closes one day after the start of the semester for required courses.
Complete six required courses and four elective courses. Request your parchment through the OpenEd Student Portal once all requirements are met.
The diploma program typically takes two years to complete. There are no maximum time restrictions, therefore, you may take as long as you need to successfully complete program requirements.
The price per online course is currently $995. The price per remote course is currently $955. Course prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed. The total cost of the program may vary depending on available discounts* and the length of time to completion.
*There are early bird and alumni tuition discounts available for this program.
If you would like additional information about this program, please contact our Main Office.
Business Operations Certificate Programs
Courses within the following seven certificate programs comprise the Diploma in School Board Administration elective courses.
- Certificate in Disability Management
- Certificate in Facilities Management
- Certificate in Human Resources Management for School Board Administration
- Certificate in Information and Communication Technology Management
- Certificate in Information Management, Privacy, and Access
- Certificate in Pupil Transportation Management
- Certificate in Supply Chain Management for Public Procurement