Are you a horse owner looking to gain the fundamental knowledge required to provide for horses in your care? The Equine Science Certificate introduces you to research and evidence-based practice in a practical format you can apply immediately to improve the health and performance of horses. This well-rounded certificate program will cover topics including equine nutrition, equine behaviour, exercise physiology, genetics, anatomy, and breeding and foaling. Join our community of learners from around the world.
The best part of the program is that you learn not only from your instructors, but in interacting with your peers too. The best piece of advice I would give to future students is to tailor the courses to fit your goals. I focused on racing and senior horse care in my research and assignments, both which are a big part of my personal equine life.
In this program you will learn to:
- Establish a safe and environmentally responsible horse housing facility.
- Implement practices in the management and care of horses based on research and evidence, and with the welfare of the horse in mind.
- Effectively discuss problems of the horse with a veterinarian in an informed and educated manner and assist in providing important information that will aid in the care of the horse.
- Identify, describe and apply the care requirements for the mare, foal and stallion, as outlined in the Equine Code of Practice.
- Find, review and be able to provide an analysis of science-based information on equine topics.
To obtain the Equine Science Certificate, students are required to complete four required courses and two electives. Each course is 12 weeks in length and students should expect to spend 6 - 10 hrs a week per course on their studies.
The Equine Science Certificate is delivered entirely online and you can participate from anywhere you have access to the internet. There is no requirement to be online at a certain time. The courses are facilitated by an instructor and all students registered in the course progress through the course content at the same time.
The Equine Studies program is intended for adult learners at least 18 years of age.
The equine science and business courses at the University of Guelph are open learning continuing education courses and you do not have to apply and be accepted into the certificate program to take one of the courses. There are no international student fees and we welcome students from around the world to take part in our courses.
Achieving the Certificate
Once you have completed the six courses required for the Equine Science Certificate you will request your certificate from the University of Guelph by completing the ‘Request for Certificate Form’.