Are you a horse owner looking to gain the fundamental knowledge required to provide for horses in your care? The Equine Science Certificate introduces you to research and evidence-based practice in a practical format you can apply immediately to improve the health and performance of horses. This well-rounded certificate program will cover topics including equine nutrition, equine behaviour, exercise physiology, genetics, anatomy, and breeding and foaling. Join our community of learners from around the world.
With a total of six courses to complete, this certificate will allow you to tailor your equine education.
Upon successful completing of this program, you will be able to:
- Establish a safe and environmentally responsible horse housing facility.
- Implement practices in the management and care of horses based on research and evidence, and with the welfare of the horse in mind.
- Effectively discuss problems of the horse with a veterinarian in an informed and educated manner and assist in providing important information that will aid in the care of the horse.
- Identify, describe and apply the care requirements for the mare, foal and stallion, as outlined in the Equine Code of Practice.
- Find, review and be able to provide an analysis of science-based information on equine topics.
- Barn Manager
- Barn Hand
- Equine Welfare Specialist
- Riding Instructor
This program requires the completion of four required courses and two electives. Courses may be taken in any order. We recommend that you begin your studies with Management of the Equine Environment.
Enrolment is on a course-by-course basis and there is no application required. This program is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age or have completed Grade 12 or equivalent. Course availability changes each semester. It is recommended you submit notification requests for each course in the program to be informed when registration opens. Course registration closes six days after the start of the semester. The courses are facilitated by an instructor and all students registered in the course progress through the course content at the same time.
Complete four required courses and two elective courses. Request your parchment through the OpenEd Student Portal once all requirements are met.
You can take up to 5 years from the start of your first course to complete and receive the certificate.
The price per course is currently $625. Course prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed. The total cost of the program may vary depending on available discounts* and the length of time to completion.
*There are early bird and alumni tuition discounts available for this program.
If you would like additional information about this program, please contact our Main Office.