Growing food in an urban environment is on the rise. Find out how you can provide a positive social impact on individuals and your community by choosing agricultural practices that are environmentally sound and productive.
About the Certificate
The Sustainable Urban Agriculture Certificate consists of five online courses: four required courses and a choice of one elective. This program will show you how to produce nutritious food in an urban setting, protect your community's land and water resources, and demonstrate effective citizenship. You will learn both theory and practical skills to support agricultural sustainability.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Identify the relationships between soil, water, insects, diseases and weeds in agricultural systems
- Implement best management practices and inputs to improve soil health and produce economically and ecologically viable products
- Apply agricultural practices that are environmentally sound and productive, and provide a positive social impact on individuals and the community
- Identify the major food producing plant families commonly found in temperate zone growing areas and niche market opportunities for urban agriculture
- Select the best storage options for specific fruits and vegetables and understand the key steps and limitations to can, dry and freeze foods
- Develop an effective business plan
- Urban residential food grower
- Municipal planner
- Public gardens staff
- Environmental advocate