Growing food in an urban environment is on the rise. Find out how you can provide a positive social impact on individuals and your community by choosing agricultural practices that are environmentally sound and productive. You will learn both theory and practical skills to support agricultural sustainability.
With a total of five online courses to complete, this program will show you how to produce nutritious food in an urban setting, protect your community's land and water resources, and demonstrate effective citizenship.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Identify the relationships between soil, water, insects, diseases and weeds in agricultural systems
- Implement best management practices and inputs to improve soil health and produce economically and ecologically viable products
- Apply agricultural practices that are environmentally sound and productive, and provide a positive social impact on individuals and the community
- Identify the major food producing plant families commonly found in temperate zone growing areas and niche market opportunities for urban agriculture
- Select the best storage options for specific fruits and vegetables and understand the key steps and limitations to can, dry and freeze foods
- Develop an effective business plan
- Urban residential food grower
- Municipal planner
- Public gardens staff
- Environmental advocate
The program requires the completion of four foundational courses and one elective course. Courses may be taken in any order. We recommend that you begin your studies with the required foundational courses.
Enrolment is on a course-by-course basis and there is no application required. This program is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age. Course availability changes each semester. It is recommended you submit notification requests for each course in the program to be informed when registration opens. Course registration closes six days after the start of the semester.
Complete five required courses. Request your parchment through the OpenEd Student Portal once all requirements are met.
You have a maximum 5 years to complete the required courses toward a particular certificate and/or diploma. The maximum number of years is presently under review and will be posted on the website once confirmed.
The price per course is currently $595. Course prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed. The total cost of the program may vary depending on available discounts* and the length of time to completion.
*There are early bird and alumni tuition discounts available for this program.
If you would like additional information about this program, please contact our Main Office.