This career development course introduces students to the practical knowledge required to succeed in the current and future world of work. Students will acquire practical knowledge through reflective and experiential learning activities and engage in the development of self-marketing materials (resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile and interview preparation). Within the context of career development, issues related to mental well-being, diversity, intercultural competencies, and the implications of disclosure and accommodation will be studied.
Open to all undergraduate students, with the exception of B.Comm and Co-op students
By the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
1. Identify the key skills relevant in today’s labour market and those anticipated in the future.
2. Articulate your employability, including strengths, personality, interests, both technical and transferable skills, and personal achievements for the purposes of self-marketing.
3. Determine potential occupational paths and develop a career action plan outlining goals for gaining relevant experience during undergraduate studies.
4. Create effective self-marketing tools, including a targeted resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile.
5. Develop professional relationships and identify job prospects by communicating your value when networking.
6. Assess the needs of an employer and the best method of presenting your skills and value in a job interview.
7. Examine key concepts of inclusivity and accessibility and discuss the benefits that a diverse workplace provides to organizations and employees.
8. Identify your rights and responsibilities at work as defined in key legislation such as Occupational Health and Safety, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act, Human Rights Code.
The Labour Market of Today and the Labour Market of the Future
Career Planning & Decision Making.
Job Search, the Hiring Process & Employer Perspective
Crafting an Effective Resume
Crafting an Effective Application Package
Interview Process and Preparation
Effective Interview Answers
Opportunity Searching & Networking
Wellness, Resilience, Rights & Responsibilities at Work
|Assessment Item||Weight||Learning Outcomes|
|Professional Identity & Career Action Plan||20%||1, 2, 3|
|Targeted Application||25%||2, 4|
|Informational Career Interview||30%||1, 2, 4, 5, 6|
*Course details are subject to change.