Horticulture Capstone ties together everything students have learned in the diploma program and challenges you to explore emerging issues that will impact the horticultural sector. You will explore advanced topics such as the impacts of climate change and increasing urbanization on the environment. You will discuss the role of the horticultural industry in supporting the renewal and development of resilient and sustainable communities. You will have an opportunity to develop a unique project of your own aligned to your personal and professional goals and the further development of skills.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- discuss the concepts of climate change, sustainability, urban intensification and soil conservation,
- investigate the impact of horticultural industry practices on the environment and discuss strategies that contribute to practical solutions,
- debate the impacts of human activity on ecosystem health and discuss how the management of horticultural projects can contribute to healthier environments,
- research and compare trends and innovative practices being used in the horticultural sector that address economic, social and environmental sustainability,
- practice networking effectively within the horticulture industry, and
- identify opportunities for ongoing professional development.
- Human impacts: Climate Change and Sustainability
- Plant Ecology & the Environment
- Soil Health & Management
- Genetics & Biological Evolution
- Seed Saving
- Land Restoration, Rehabilitation & Phytoremediation
- Impacts of 'Going Green'
- Horticultural Trends
- Case Studies in Sustainability
- Your Professional Practice
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- You can expect to spend 8 - 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
- You must complete a minimum of seven courses before you register in the capstone. Students complete this course after you have completed the foundational and elective courses in the Horticulture Diploma.
- There is an application process to register for this course.
AssessmentStudents can expect to complete a capstone project as well as contribute to weekly discussions.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Horticulture Diploma : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.