Evaluate your strengths and skills, define your goals, and develop a realistic plan to enhance your business, work performance, and career opportunities.
Through the introduction of key business management principles, you will develop professionalism and learn how to pursue your entrepreneurial or employment goals in the landscape design and horticulture fields. A thorough overview of business planning and management will teach you how to use financial forecasting and market research to make strategic decisions.
Emphasis will be placed on communication development, teamwork, and problem-solving skills necessary to succeed in the sector.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Use business practices appropriate to the horticulture industry
- Employ fundamental business procedures for sales, marketing, finance, and human resources
- Prepare a basic budget or cost forecasting statement
- Use professional business communication to respond to client needs
- Demonstrate the ability to use computer applications relevant to small business
- Represent your skills, knowledge, and experience realistically for personal or employment purposes
- Present a plan for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance and career opportunities, and keep pace with industry changes
- Demonstrate that you can assume responsibility and accountability for your performance
- Identify opportunities for ongoing professional development (e.g., professional associations, continuing education courses, trade shows)
- Identify and pursue opportunities for licensing and professional certification and accreditation
- You as an Entrepreneur
- Goal Setting
- Products and Services
- Business Models
- Market Discovery
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Business Communication
- Business Plan
- Portfolio Development
- Planning for the Future
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Business Management in Horticulture is a required course in the Landscape Design and Horticulture Diplomas.
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Business Management Principles (310-0014).
*Course details are subject to change.