Delve into the philosophy, strategies, terminology and concepts of landscape ecology, as it relates to ecological design. Explore how to assess a landscape, protect it, incorporate human activities, monitor the success, practice land stewardship, and contribute to public education.
Learn the appropriate methods for selecting key elements—such as plantings, soil amendments, water access, and other materials. The negative effects of human impact on the landscape will also be discussed and evaluated, as well as the importance of maintaining a balance between natural systems and human environments.
With a focus on the relationship between ecology and landscape design, you will learn how a change in perspective can change how we impact our landscapes.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define the term ‘ecological design’
- Define the terminology and concepts of ecology and landscape ecology as it pertains to ecological design
- Identify the ecological disturbances caused by human activities
- Discuss the factors and considerations associated with selecting key elements for ecological design
- Identify the principles of ecological design
- Describe the different components within an ecological design framework
- Assess the environmental impacts associated with a site
- Discuss the importance of the participatory design process, maintenance and monitoring plan, and public engagement and stewardship
- Ecological Landscape Design
- Landscape Ecology
- Ecological Disturbances and Human Activities
- Ecological Design in Practice
- Key Elements
- Principles and Framework
- Site Assessment and Analysis
- Participatory Design Process
- Post Design Considerations
- Integrated Ecological Design
- Combining it all Together
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Landscape Design I and Ecological Design complete an area of focus in Landscape Design in the Horticulture Certificate/Diploma
Ecological Design is a required course in the Landscape Design Certificate/Diploma.
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
*Course details are subject to change.