Examine the properties, uses, and design implications of landscape construction materials. Gain in-depth knowledge of the characteristics, methods of installation, and resulting maintenance requirements of choosing particular materials in your landscape plans. Site function, durability, the intended use of features on site, and associated construction costs are explored. Ecological goals such as water infiltration and habitat value will also be discussed and incorporated into plans. You will have an opportunity to demonstrate your new understanding of construction practices.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify construction practices that connect design goals to proper landscape construction techniques
- Identify common building and structural materials
- Assist in developing material estimates and equipment lists
- Recognize how topography and contours influence and effect landscape construction and outdoor environments
- Prepare cost estimates and explain how to monitor project costs and progress
- Research zoning and other legislative and by-law requirements related to the development of a site
- Employ environmentally responsible practices in the site development process
- Documents Used in Landscape Construction
- Process of Installing a Landscape
- Grading and Drainage in the Landscape
- Paving Materials in the Landscape
- Fences and Decks
- Retaining Walls
- Installing Plant Material
- Estimating and Costing for Construction Projects
- Project Timelines
- Managing your Team
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
This course is a required course in the Landscape Design Certificate/Diploma.
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Introduction to Landscape Construction (310-0023).
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Landscape Design Diploma : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.