Drawing is an integral part of the landscape design process. It allows you to explore concepts quickly, understand the site more deeply, and communicate with your clients throughout the design process. Developing a practice of sketching will enable you to express and develop your designs quickly, encourage experimentation, and improve your hand drawing skills to communicate your landscape design ideas to others visually.
This course will develop your landscape hand drawing skills. You will participate in exercises to practice your skills as you learn the various techniques of creating a hand-drawn landscape design plan, and assist you in developing a professional portfolio. The client meeting and presentation will also be discussed, helping you effectively communicate your designs to your clients. The course includes an integrated project where you can demonstrate your hand drawn skills through a final landscape design plan.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss different types of drawings and when each is necessary for the design process
- Identify and analyze graphic design concepts in a landscape drawing
- Demonstrate hand drawn skills of lettering, numbering, lines and illustrating softscapes, hardscapes people, vehicles and buildings.
- Demonstrate the ability to visualize and draw sections, evaluations, projections and perspectives through the submission of a hand-drawn landscape plan
- Discuss the client meeting and presentation and identify how you will incorporate client feedback into your design process
- Graphic Design for Landscape Designers
- Sketching and Drawing Techniques
- Lettering and Numbering
- Illustrating Plant Material, Hardscape and Water
- Illustrating People, Vehicles and Buildings
- Elevations and Sections
- Projections and Perspectives
- Layout and Hierarchy
- The Finished Drawing: Shading, shadowing, colouring
- Client Presentations
- Client Feedback Process
- Your Design Portfolio
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You will be required to purchase drawing supplies. A resource list is provided when you register.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
- Please note that this course will require you to create hand drawings, scan and submit them to the course website (CourseLink)
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Presentation Styles – Extend Your Graphic Style (310-0041).
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Landscape Design Diploma : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.