Drawing is an integral part of the landscape design process. It allows you to explore concepts quickly, understand the site more deeply, and communicate with your clients throughout the design process.
Begin establishing a practice of sketching so you can express and develop your designs quickly, experiment with a variety of techniques, and visually communicate your landscape design ideas to others. You will be able to apply your skills as you create a hand-drawn landscape design plan and develop a professional portfolio.
The client meeting and presentation will also be discussed, helping you effectively communicate your designs to your clients. The course includes an integrated project where you can demonstrate your hand-drawn skills through a final landscape design plan.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Apply the principles of landscape design in your landscape drawings
- Discuss various types of drawings, and when each is necessary for the design process
- Identify and analyze graphic design concepts in a landscape drawing
- Demonstrate hand-drawn skills of lettering, numbering, lines and illustrating softscapes, hardscapes, people, vehicles and buildings
- Demonstrate the ability to visualize and draw sections, evaluations, projections and perspectives
- Discuss the client meeting and presentation, and identify how you will incorporate client feedback into your design process
- Create a portfolio to showcase your design abilities for potential clients and/or employers
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Lines, Lettering and Numbering
- Sketching and Drawing Techniques
- Illustrating Plant Material, Hardscape and Water
- Illustrating People, Vehicles and Buildings
- Meeting Your Clients and the Client Presentation
- Projections and Perspectives
- Elevations and Sections
- Landscape Design Critiques and the Feedback Process
- Page Composition: Layout and Hierarchy
- The Final Drawing
- Design Portfolio
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- You will be required to purchase drawing supplies; a resource list is posted in the section notes.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
- Please note that this course will require you to create hand drawings, scan and submit them to the course website (CourseLink)
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Presentation Styles – Extend Your Graphic Style (310-0041).
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Landscape Design Diploma : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.