A capstone project challenges you to create a single landscape project bringing together all of the knowledge and skills you have accumulated over the Landscape Design Diploma. Through this process, you will integrate landscape design principles, construction management, and drawing and CAD skills to meet the needs of a typical client. Your design will demonstrate how you interpret your client's needs and create a functional, buildable, affordable and pleasing landscape design.
This capstone course will develop your capacity for approaching landscape design problems with both creativity and logic.
Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Discuss landscape design trends and your philosophy, as a landscape designer.
- Develop a design process that identifies the steps and deliverables of a landscape design project.
- Apply the principles of design to a landscape design project.
- Demonstrate knowledge of plant identification, usage, and maintenance criteria and apply it to your final design.
- Identify sustainable design practices and explain how they contribute to the sustainability of your site and design.
- Explain the environmental impacts of your project.
- Explain how the consistency of vision and format in preparing drawings contributes to client satisfaction and the successful completion of a project.
- Draft a set of drawings.
- Create a preliminary cost estimate and construction schedule.
- Apply basic installation and construction principles and practical skills to the implementation of a landscape design.
- Discuss interdisciplinary design thinking in the industry and its impact on landscape design.
- Trends and Innovations in Landscape Design
- Design Thinking and the Design Process
- Landscape Design Project: Inventory, Analysis, Client Interview and Project Development
- Effective Client Communications, Identifying challenges and Solving Problems
- Drawing Sets
- Planting Plans
- Implementing a Design Plan
- Design Thinking and Trans- and Inter-Disciplinary Approaches
- Reflection and Self-Assessment
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Prerequisites: Foundation course requirements and electives must be successfully completed prior to enrollment in Landscape Design Capstone.
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Capstone Landscape Design Project (310-0046).
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Landscape Design Diploma : Required Courses
*Course details are subject to change.