Turf managers are primarily responsible for the care and maintenance of athletic fields, municipal parks, sod production or golf courses.
Explore species and cultivars of turfgrasses and their establishment, maintenance, nutrition, and soil requirements. Weed, insect and disease identification and management will also be discussed.
Case studies will provide you the opportunity to apply what you are learning to the establishment of a new sports field and management of golf course turf.
This course is primarily designed to help students working in the golf course environment but is also applicable to anyone working in turf management.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Analyze the benefits of maintained turfgrasses
- Identify turfgrass species using a dichotomous key
- Differentiate between turfgrass species with respect to anatomy, use and maintenance
- Explain the importance of soils and their role in turfgrass growth and development
- Describe the benefits of various methods of establishing turfgrass stands
- Describe management practices such as mowing, irrigation, cultivation, fertilization, and biotic and abiotic stress management
- Evaluate the inter-relationship between turf management practices and their combined roles in sustainable maintenance of turf
- What is Turf?
- The Turfgrass Plant
- Turfgrass Species and Characteristics
- Soils and the Turfgrass Rootzone
- Turf Establishment
- Management Practices – Mowing and Cultivation
- Management Practices – Irrigation
- Management Practices – Nitrogen Fertility
- Management Practices – Macro and Micronutrient Fertility
- Management Practices – Insect Pests
- Management Practices – Diseases
- Abiotic Stressors
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Turf Management and Weed Management complete an area of focus in Turf Management.
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Turf Management (310-0008).
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
*Course details are subject to change.