Explore the trends, technical and logistical challenges, and emerging industry innovations of greenhouse crop production. Master the propagational, cultural and environmental requirements of the major commercial crops—including vegetables, floriculture and specialty crops—and study the principles of photoperiod and graphical tracking, as they relate to certain crops.
By the end of this course, you should be able to not only define the cultural and post-harvest requirements of specific crops, but also apply these practices to other crops you intend to work with.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the major and minor commercial crops available on the market
- Outline the cultural requirements of at least four commercial greenhouse crops and two specialty crops
- Apply best management practices and principles to the growth and production of at least six greenhouse crops
- Predict how specific crops will respond to a change in management and environment
- Calculate appropriate quantities of material to grow and maintain greenhouse crops
- Develop a management plan to monitor the environmental conditions required for successful production of at least six greenhouse crops
- Assess plant material quality and select the best strategy to make improvements
- Determine post-harvest quality and select the appropriate method of post-harvest handling for at least six greenhouse crops
- Identify the steps to produce a specific crop from propagation to market
- Major Cut Flower Crops
- Major Potted Crops
- Minor Floriculture Crops and Bedding Plants
- Commercial Vegetable Crops
- Specialty Crops
- Post-Harvest Handling Techniques
- Industry Trends and Innovations
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Greenhouse Management and Greenhouse Crop Production complete an area of focus in Greenhouse Production
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Commercial Greenhouse Crop Production (310-0015).
*Course details are subject to change.