3101017 - Greenhouse Management
Explore ways to control the environment and growing conditions for greenhouse crops. Learn how the greenhouse environment—including light, temperature, humidity, water, atmospheric gases, and nutrients—impacts plant growth and development. Examine a variety of greenhouse design features and the types of technology used, from small-scale low-tech to large high-tech commercial operations. This course will build on your understanding of Integrated Pest Management so you can apply it to the greenhouse environment.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize how plants in a closed environment respond to the environmental elements of light, temperature, carbon dioxide, water and humidity
- Identify common greenhouse design features and the materials used to build them
- Distinguish the types of environmental control systems used in closed environments—including heating, light, humidity, air circulation, venting, energy curtains, irrigation, fertilization, and carbon dioxide systems
- Identify and apply fertilizing techniques used in a closed environment system
- Identify greenhouse pests and diseases
- Apply the principles of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to make recommendations for pest and disease management in a greenhouse environment
- Greenhouse Environment - An Introduction
- Greenhouse Environment - Heat and Light
- Greenhouse Environment - Carbon Dioxide and Relative Humidity
- Greenhouse Water and Irrigation
- Greenhouse Structures
- Growing Media and Fertility
- Greenhouse Pests
- Greenhouse Diseases
- Greenhouse Heating and Heat Loss
- Technology in the Greenhouse
- Greenhouse Automation
- Post-Harvest Horticulture
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Greenhouse Management and Greenhouse Crop Production complete an area of focus in Greenhouse Production.
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Greenhouse Management (310-0014).
Please note that the course assessment is subject to change.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Horticulture Certificate : Elective Courses
- Horticulture Diploma : Elective Courses
- Landscape Design Diploma : Elective Courses
You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system meets the necessary system requirements. Use the browser check tool to ensure your browser settings are compatible and up to date (results will be displayed in a new browser window).
*Course details are subject to change.