Greenhouse design features and the technology used, impact plant growth and development.
Discover the ways greenhouse growers control the environment and growing conditions for greenhouse crops. Study the effects of light, temperature, humidity, water, atmospheric gases, and nutrients on plant growth in small-scale low-tech to large-scale high-tech commercial operations.
Pest and disease management principles will be applied to the greenhouse environment. Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to participate in discussions, activities and case studies to learn how to manage greenhouse crops.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss how plants in a closed environment respond to the environmental elements of light, temperature, carbon dioxide, water and humidity
- Identify common greenhouse design features and the materials used to build them
- Distinguish the types of environmental control systems used in closed environments—including heating, light, humidity, air circulation, venting, energy curtains, irrigation, fertilization, and carbon dioxide systems
- Identify the fertilizing techniques used in a closed environment system
- Calculate energy losses in a greenhouse
- Identify greenhouse pests and diseases
- Apply the principles of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to make recommendations for pest and disease management in a greenhouse environment
- Greenhouse Environment – Heat and Light
- Greenhouse Environment – Carbon Dioxide and Relative Humidity
- Greenhouse Water and Irrigation
- Growing Media and Fertility
- Greenhouse Insects
- Greenhouse Diseases
- Greenhouse Heat Loss
- Technology in the Greenhouse
- Post-Harvest Horticulture
- This course is intended for adult learners who are at least 18 years of age.
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- You can expect to spend 8 to 12 hours per week to complete the course content, readings, activities, discussions and assignments.
Greenhouse Management and Greenhouse Crop Production complete an area of focus in Greenhouse Production
Do not enrol in this course if you have successfully completed Greenhouse Management (310-0014).
*Course details are subject to change.